Monday, September 26, 2011

Pescetarian (is that how you spell it??) Adventures

Alright, so this week marks my three-week anniversary of not eating chicken, pork, beef, or any other meat, save fish.  I've totally succeeded.... except for those couple times I cheated.  More on that later :)

It's been a lot of fun to try this out.  I think I'm going to loosely stick with it once my experimental month is up.  I've really enjoyed figuring out what to feed myself and stubbornly refusing to use recipes.  So, without further ado, here are a few successes from the last three weeks.

1)  Goopy Quinoa

...sounds hideous, I know.  But trust me on this one, it's actually pretty delicious.  Breakfast tends to make me grumpy unless I'm hung over or eating this.

You'll need:

1.5c quinoa
...along with 2.5c water to cook it.
1/4-1/2 cup maple syrup, warmed (I used the microwave)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1c raisins
2 chopped apples (but chop them at the very end or they will go funny, as apples tend to do)
1/2 cup craisins

Step 1:

COOK THE QUINOA or this will be the breakfast you spend eating and resenting me.  Boil the quinoa in the water until the water is absorbed.  If you don't know how to cook quinoa, you can go here for excellent instructions: http://www.quinoahowto.com/quinoa-articles/quinoa-how-to-cook-quinoa-perfectly

Or you can just treat it like rice.

Step 2: 

The rest is pretty straightforward.  Drain any last water out of the quinoa, and add the maple syrup.  You can decide how goopy you want your quinoa... ultimately, it came down to how sweet it was so I went with 1/3 of a cup.  Stir in cinnamon, raisins, apples, and craisins.  A little nutmeg goes a long way, too.

Heck, add some more cinnamon to the top.  And maybe a good cup of coffee on the side.  Enjoy while it's hot... all hot foods get progressively grosser as they cool anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

2) [Almost]Vegan Cookies

You'll need:

1/2 cup vegan margarine
1/2 cup organic peanut butter (or if you're not so hardcore on the vegan part, use whipped PB... so good, and so easy to work with)
1/2 cup organic liquid honey (this is where things get iffy... some vegans are ok with honey, some aren't... personally, I prefer bee spit to animal bone bleaching, but we're probably not looking at things in the same light anyway)
1 tsp (plus a little extra splash) vanilla
Ground flaxseed egg substitute**
1/2-3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 & 1/2 cups organic quinoa flour
1/2 cup quinoa, cooked and partially cooled

** This is easy- before you start putting the cookies together, put 1 tbsp ground flaxseed into 3 tbsp water.  Let it sit for 5 min or so, and it oozes just like an egg!

Step 1:

Cream margarine, peanut butter, honey, vanilla, and flaxegg.  This will be extremely gooey and gross, so try to make sure you've got all the honey off the bottom of your bowl.

Step 2: 

Sift together [in a separate bowl] flour, cinnamon, baking soda.  Add slowly to wet ingredients.

Step 3: 

Add in the quinoa.  Let it sit for a minute or 5... it seems to soften the quinoa a bit.

Step 4:

Drop by teaspoon onto a cookie sheet.  Bake at 300 degrees for 12-15 minutes.  These cookies will always look a little gooey, but they WILL start to brown... take them out when that happens.

It should make you around 2.5 dozen cookies. 

----------------------------------------------------

I have things to do and places to be, so I will post more recipes later.

One final thing:

To make any pizza phenomenal:
1) Switch to a multigrain crust
2) Add fresh garlic, green peppers, and feta.  Mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment